1/1 Photo of Red Beans and Rice
3 hrs 30 mins
My mother made this for a birthday celebration several years ago. It's now become one of our family favorites. It really sticks to the ribs! We serve with homemade French Bread and the infamous California Salad...YUMMMM Please note: prep time does not include the soaking of the beans. *Edited to update: I use bulk sausage for this recipe. If you do purchase links, remove the casings and place the links in whole.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 453.59 g dried red beans
- 1892.0 ml water
- 1 meaty ham bone (or thickly sliced raw ham, cubed)
- 453.59 g hot sausage
- 453.59 g pork sausage (medium)
- 473.18 ml yellow onions, chopped
- 5 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped (including tops)
- 4 bay leaves
- 2.46 ml thyme leaves
- 0.25 ml hot red pepper sauce, to taste
- cooked rice
- 1Soak beans as directed on package. Drain the beans and place in large stock pot. Cover with the 2 quarts water. Add ham bone and sausages, onions, green pepper and seasonings.
- 2Cover, lower heat and simmer several hours.
- 3Mash some of the cooked beans against the side of the pot to produce a thick creamy sauce.
- 4Cook 2 more hours over low heat stirring occasionally.
- 5Season with Red Pepper Sauce to taste.
- 6Serve over cooked rice.
- 7The bean mixture can be frozen either in single servings or family style for future use. I have frozen individual servings with rice and this works great. Adjust the heat levels with additional peppers or pepper sauce according to your tastes.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Red Beans and Rice
Serving Size: 1 (401 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 389.4
- Calories from Fat 274
- Total Fat 30.5 g
- Saturated Fat 10.0 g
- Cholesterol 81.7 mg
- Sodium 757.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 20.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: