Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
Southern Living by way of a great friend.
Top Review by jessi-ryan
Here is how I prepare this: Dice some yellow or white onion and stir fry it in a pan with the olive oil, garlic, and the rest of the veggies (I use whatever veggies I have in my fridge I need to use up). Then add the broth, tomatoes, and spices and bring to a boil. Then add the couscous and the kidney beans and let it sit until the couscous is ready. Sprinkle with a little cheese (cheddar is good) and serve. This is awesome for camping.
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 10 ounces quick-cooking couscous
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 green onions, diced
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 celery rib, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced