Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Southern Living by way of a great friend.
Make and share this Red Beans and Couscous recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 10 ounces quick-cooking couscous
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 green onions, diced
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 celery rib, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Bring first 6 ingredients to a boil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat; remove from heat.
- Stir in couscous; let stand 10 minutes.
- Fluff mixture with fork.
- Stir in kidney beans and remaining ingredients.
- Serve hot or slightly chilled.
Here is how I prepare this: Dice some yellow or white onion and stir fry it in a pan with the olive oil, garlic, and the rest of the veggies (I use whatever veggies I have in my fridge I need to use up). Then add the broth, tomatoes, and spices and bring to a boil. Then add the couscous and the kidney beans and let it sit until the couscous is ready. Sprinkle with a little cheese (cheddar is good) and serve. This is awesome for camping.
This was so delicious. I sauteed the vegetables in the olive oil and then added to the dish. Wonderful when hot, haven't tried it cold yet but I bet it is good. Very easy and spicy flavor. Thanks Nurse Di.
I thought this side dish was tasty, however my husband didn't care for the couscous. I forwarded the recipe to a friend whom I think will enjoy it also. Thanks!