Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Got this recipe off an internet blog. My husband and I really liked it.
- 1 lb dried red beans (soaked overnight)
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 1⁄2 celery ribs, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 3⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3 -4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 -3 cups cooked rice
- Drain the beans, discarding the water, and set them aside in a pot. Place the onion, celery, garlic and bay leaves in a medium mixing bowl. Drizzle the olive oil over them and let the mixture sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes. Don’t skip it!
- Pour the oil and veggie mixture over the beans and let that mix sit at room temp for 10 to 15 minutes. Add enough of the water to cover the beans and bring to a boil. (Here, you could also place the mix in a slow cooker.) Lower the temp to a simmer, add S & P, cover and cook for 3 to 4 hours. Remove the bay leaves and add final seasonings to taste. Serve the hot beans over the rice.
- I add plenty of Red Hot at the end, as well.
This is so yummy! Great flavor and nice texture,even my kids asked for seconds, which is saying ALOT. Thanks for posting.