Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Nice Spicy and easy slow cooker recipe. Great for diabetics who can't have white rice.
- 1 cup barley, uncooked
- 3 (15 ounce) cans red kidney beans, undrained
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup cooked ham, diced
- 1 ham bone
- 1 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 dried hot chili peppers
- Toss it in the crock pot all day. Cook 4 -5 on high and then drop it down another 4 at least on low.
- Take out the bay leaves and the chile peppers. It’s better a day or two later.
I like the idea of barley and beans but didn't really care for this dish. The bay leaf was overwhelming but otherwise it seemed lacking in flavour. I served it with salsa to add a bit more flavour.
Lovely alternative to red beans and rice! I don't have cajun seasoning, but according to the www its a mix of predominantly salt, with some cayenne, thyme, sweet basil, and chili powder. I added no salt to the recipe, and added a few shakes of each to the pot. Came out great - will be making this one again as a standard for leftover easter ham.
This was a good, one-pot meal. I especially liked the flavour of the cajun spice in the mix. I left out hte chili peppers (and probably should have left them in). I found, however, that it lacked something in the flavour. Next time maybe I'll add some tomatoes. It is very filling and a great dinner for diabetics.