Prep 15 mins
Cook 11 mins
From Cooking Light Magazine. Simple and delicious.
Make and share this Red Bean Stew With Pasta (Pasta Fagioli) recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup sliced carrot
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (14 ounce) canless sodium beef broth
- 1 cup uncooked penne pasta
- 2 tablespoons prepared pesto sauce
- 1⁄4 cup grated fresh parmesan cheese
- Heat olive oil in a dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and carrot; saute 4 minutes.
- Stir in water and the next 4 ingredients (through broth). Cover, bring to a boil.
- Stir in pasta: cook, uncovered, for 11 minutes or until pasta is done.
- Stir in pesto; sprinkle each serving with cheese.
We wanted meat in ours--so I added 1# ground beef and a chopped onion. I was impressed with how GOOD it tasted since I made it at 4 & we ate at 6. Usually this type of soup/stew tastes best a day or 2 later....so I'm waiting to see how wonderful it will be tomorrow for lunch! Thanks!
Yesterday was a cold and rainy day. My family slept in so long that it seemed too late to make breakfast, but they were headed out to run some errands, so I decided to get them all warmed up with this soup first. What a wonderful surprise! No one could believe it was ready in less than 30 minutes and everyone loved the flavor. I used some baby portabellas, rough-chopped baby carrots and mini-Penne pasta. I didn't have pesto on hand, as I usually make it homemade, so I subbed with about a 1/2 teaspoon of dried basil. This stew was hearty, filling, and tasted delicious! I'll definitely make it again. Thanks for sharing, Bizzy-Bee! Made & enjoyed for the Spring 2012 Pick-A-Chef event.