Recipe by JHansen
I love this soup because of the "Cajun feel" to it, but it's not at all spicy. It freezes well, and it's a great protein source! Additional Cajun seasonings could be added if desired.
Top Review by MollyJ
I had some left over chunked smoked turkey and used this recipe as a spring board for an idea. I had left over rice also. I cheated and used 2 cans of red beans. I added some stewed tomatoes and about 1/4 cup of dried green peppers. And I confess, I added some Penzey's cajun seasoning and 3/4 tsp of oregano. The combo of smoked turkey in Red beans and rice is a great idea and I'm looking forward to my left overs!!!
- 1 lb dried red beans
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped green peppers
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 quarts water
- 2 cups smoked turkey, cut in 1 ",cubes
- 4 cups cooked rice
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Place all ingredients, except rice, in crockpot.
- Cook 6 hours on High, or overnight on Low.
- Check broth.
- If too thick, add water to suit.
- Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- When ready to serve, stir in rice.
- Stir in some parsley or chopped green onions when serving, if desired.