Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This soup is delicious!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 can chopped tomato
- 2 cans red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 3⁄4 cups water
- freshly ground black pepper
- Tabasco sauce, to serve if desired
- 2 avocados
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 green chili, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh coriander, cilantro
- 1 lime, juice of
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy based saucepan.
- Add the onions and garlic.
- Cook for about 4-5 minutes until softened but not coloured.
- Add the cumin, cayenne and paprika and cook for 1 minute, stirring continuously.
- Stir in the tomato puree and cook for a few seconds, then add the oregano.
- Add the tomatoes, kidney beans and the water.
- Bring mixture to the boil and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Cool the soup slightly, then puree it in a food processor or blender until smooth.
- Return to the saucepan and add seasoning to taste.
- Halve, stone and peel the avocados, and dice finely.
- Place in a small bowl and gently, but thoroughly, mix with the red onion and the chillis, and the coriander and lime juice.
- Reheat soup and ladle into bowls.
- Spoon a little of the salsa into the middle of each bowl of soup.
- If you want to spice it up further offer the Tabasco to your guests.
Qh Evie! This soup was just delicious!!! And the salsa was superb! I had 9 people for dinner and they all went home with the recipe! This will be made again and again! Thanks!
Delicious! Even without the guacamole salsa, the soup is very good on its own. Will do it again!
This was very good. I had my doubts about it when I first saw it in the pot, but after it was all together it looked good and tasted wonderful.