Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This soup is delicious!
Make and share this Red Bean Soup with Guacamole Salsa recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 can chopped tomato
- 2 cans red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 3⁄4 cups water
- freshly ground black pepper
- Tabasco sauce, to serve if desired
- 2 avocados
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 green chili, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh coriander, cilantro
- 1 lime, juice of
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy based saucepan.
- Add the onions and garlic.
- Cook for about 4-5 minutes until softened but not coloured.
- Add the cumin, cayenne and paprika and cook for 1 minute, stirring continuously.
- Stir in the tomato puree and cook for a few seconds, then add the oregano.
- Add the tomatoes, kidney beans and the water.
- Bring mixture to the boil and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Cool the soup slightly, then puree it in a food processor or blender until smooth.
- Return to the saucepan and add seasoning to taste.
- Halve, stone and peel the avocados, and dice finely.
- Place in a small bowl and gently, but thoroughly, mix with the red onion and the chillis, and the coriander and lime juice.
- Reheat soup and ladle into bowls.
- Spoon a little of the salsa into the middle of each bowl of soup.
- If you want to spice it up further offer the Tabasco to your guests.