Recipe by CallMeBubbles, Dahling
Comfort food, for sure! Healthy for you too.
Top Review by psychoactive
Oh, Bubbles, Dahling...never thought I would sing the praises of turkey sausage, but this one hit the spot! Nice recipe and I made it again last night with regular summer sausage, some left-over venison sausage, red beans instead of kidneys, a little chile powder and red pepper flakes and snuck in a few left over Navy beans, a couple of black beans and it was a hit - the old kitchen sink, clear the fridge version and no one even asked! They just ate without speaking for fear someone else would get the dibs on seconds! That is a statement in and of itself in this household! Thanks, Babs...a great one that will again be on our table before long as the fall creeps in...
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄4 quarts chicken broth
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 large celery rib, diced
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, diced
- 15 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 -16 ounces dark red kidney beans, drained
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄3 cup long grain rice
- 6 ounces smoked turkey sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- salt, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Sauté onion and garlic in oil in large saucepan until onion begins to brown. Add remaining ingredients except sausage and salt; heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add sausage and simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes or until soup has thickened slightly; discard bay leaf and season with salt.