Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 24 hrs
For use in steamed buns, cakes or other desserts
Make and share this Red Bean Paste recipe from Food.com.
- Cover beans in cold water and soak uncovered, overnight.
- Drain, transfer back to the pot and cover in 5 cups of cold water. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Drain and puree with a hand blender or in a food processor.
- Press through a metal sieve. Note: This is time consuming work. The pureed beans become a thick paste and it takes some time to press through the sieve, clean off the underside, continue pressing until most of the bean puree passes through and the skins are left behind.
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add pureed beans and sugar. Stir with a wooden spoon for about 3-5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and allow to cool.
- After the paste has cooled, scoop out 1/2" balls. Cover loosely with plastic wrap so they won’t dry out.