Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
from recent book. Haven't tried. Double the recipe and turn into Red Bean Cakes
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 19 ounces red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable broth
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro or 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 pinch fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (Cake ingedient only) (optional)
- Mash recipe :.
- In medium saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring, until fragant, about 7 minutes. Add beans, broth, and salt; bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from pan and stir in cilantro and mash with a potato masher to a coarse puree. Add pepper to taste. Serve warm.
- Cake recipe:.
- Form Bean mixture into 4 patties. In a large skillet, heat 2 T oil over medium heat. Add patties and cook until heated through, about 3 minutes per side.
This is a flavorful, versatile dish! I eat it nearly every morning, heated in a small skillet and topped with a poached egg. I also eat it as a side with grilled chicken and roasted veggies, use it as refried beans with fajitas, even eat it with a spoon directly from the pan! When I prepare it, I make at least a double recipe so that I have it in the fridge at all times. If there is any other South Beach dish that Is better, I'm in trouble!
Made this..though I added Black BEans instead of red beans and I also added on bag of frozen veggies.. cause I wanted it Bulked up a bit.. Really yum.. and great south beach phase one food.. will make again