Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
I used to make this for students at the John Campbell Folk school in North Carolina when I worked there, for the vegetarians. They all loved it and requested the recipe.You can 1/2 this recipe easily.
- 4 cups dried kidney beans (or 9-10 cups cooked canned beans)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups chopped onions
- 3 cups chopped celery
- 3 cups chopped green peppers
- 6 tablespoons garlic, saute together
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄8 teaspoon allspice
- Soak dried beans overnight. Cook dried beans with allspice and cayenne till tender, about 4-5 hours in the crockpot, or, if desired, skip that step and just add spices to 9 cups canned beans.).
- Saute onions, celery, green peppers, and garlic together in a little olive oil until softened.
- Mix the tomato puree, vinegar, brown sugar, mustard, salt , oregano, cayenne and allspice together and pour over beans. Reduce heat and cook gently 15-20 minutes to blend the flavors. Or, as a reviewer suggested, put all in a crockpot on low heat and simmer about 2 hours.
- May add 1 smoked turkey sausage, sliced thin, if desired, but good without!
- Good served with rice. Pass the hot pepper sauce!
Yes, I agree with the other two reviewers that the directions for this recipe are unclear and confusing. Can you go in and edit the directions, thus making them easier to understand? It would be greatly appreciated because it is a good recipe and I want to fwd. it to friends and family. I don't feel comfortable doing it with the current directions and I am too lazy to type an explanation of the directions...lol. Thanks so much!!!
This is REALLY GOOD! I reduced the recipe considerably because it makes so much. I found the instructions to be a bit unclear. Here is a brief description of what I did. I used canned beans. I used prepared yellow mustard. I sauteed the onions, celery, peppers and garlic in a little oil, then added the rest of the ingredients. I brought it to the boiling point, then reduced the heat and cooked gently for about 15-20 minutes to blend the flavours. This smells wonderful while it's cooking! And tastes so good! A definite keeper!
I thought this dish was very different. It wasnt at all what I expected, but still tasted pretty good, if you like creole type dishes. The reason why I am giving it 4 stars instead of 5 is because when I got to cooking it I got VERY confused by the directions. So this is what I did. I soaked my beans overnight, and then cooked them with the allspice and cayenne. Then I put the beans, peppers, onions, celery and garlic into a pan and let them "saute". I mixed together the rest of the ingredients and put all together. It didnt seem right to me, in my opinion, and so I put them into my crockpot for 2 hours on low. And then served this with some spicy fried chicken. Thanks!