Recipe by Sharon123
I used to make this for students at the John Campbell Folk school in North Carolina when I worked there, for the vegetarians. They all loved it and requested the recipe.You can 1/2 this recipe easily.
Top Review by OceanLuvinGranny
Yes, I agree with the other two reviewers that the directions for this recipe are unclear and confusing. Can you go in and edit the directions, thus making them easier to understand? It would be greatly appreciated because it is a good recipe and I want to fwd. it to friends and family. I don't feel comfortable doing it with the current directions and I am too lazy to type an explanation of the directions...lol. Thanks so much!!!
- 4 cups dried kidney beans (or 9-10 cups cooked canned beans)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups chopped onions
- 3 cups chopped celery
- 3 cups chopped green peppers
- 6 tablespoons garlic, saute together
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄8 teaspoon allspice
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak dried beans overnight. Cook dried beans with allspice and cayenne till tender, about 4-5 hours in the crockpot, or, if desired, skip that step and just add spices to 9 cups canned beans.).
- Saute onions, celery, green peppers, and garlic together in a little olive oil until softened.
- Mix the tomato puree, vinegar, brown sugar, mustard, salt , oregano, cayenne and allspice together and pour over beans. Reduce heat and cook gently 15-20 minutes to blend the flavors. Or, as a reviewer suggested, put all in a crockpot on low heat and simmer about 2 hours.
- May add 1 smoked turkey sausage, sliced thin, if desired, but good without!
- Good served with rice. Pass the hot pepper sauce!