From Taste of the Caribbean. A flavorful meatless chili. I've added some more tomatoes to the original recipe - it was quite thick as written - but of course if that's the way you like it, just use 14 oz of chopped tomatoes.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 14 ounces diced tomatoes (with jalapenos if you like it spicy)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 1⁄4 cups white wine
- 1 1⁄4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup red lentil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄2 hot chili pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄8 teaspoon clove
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans
- 1 cup corn
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- heat oil in pan and fry onion for 2-3 minutes, till softened.
- add tomatoes and garlic, cook for about 10 minutes, then stir in white wine and vegetable stock.
- stir in lentils, thyme, cumin, soy sauce, spices and oyster sauce.
- cover and simmer 40 minutes or till lentils are cooked, stirring occasionally and adding more water if needed.
- stir in kidney beans and sugar and cook 10 minutes more. season to taste.
- Serve with cooked rice.
The cinnamon-spicy flavor of this chili is wonderfully different! I made it fat-free by softening the veg in water, and reduced the soy sauce to 2 Tbsp. My only complaint is that I like chili with more broth to soak my bread in :-) So next time I'll just use a larger can of tomatoes and more broth. Thanks for a great supper!