Recipe by English_Rose
Rich and spicy. Red kidney beans cooked with tomatoes, garlic, chili, ginger, curry powder and cilantro.
Top Review by Dr. Jenny
I really enjoyed this curry recipe for dinner tonight. Like the other reviewers, I thought it had the right amount of heat and flavor. I needed to use up tomatoes from the garden, so I used 14 oz of fresh tomatoes which worked out great. Also, I only had 1 can of red kidney beans so I used a can of white kidney beans (cannellini) as the other can. While this may have affected presentation (which didn't matter as I was the only one eating), it did not affect the taste. I served over basmati rice. Looking forward to leftovers tomorrow. Thanks!
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 green chili pepper, halved, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated (about 1in piece)
- 1 tablespoon hot curry powder
- 1 (14 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 2 (14 ounce) cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- cilantro leaf, to garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan, add the onions, garlic, chili and ginger and cook, stirring occasionally for a few mins until all the aromas are released and the onion is softened but not colored.
- Add the curry powder and season with salt then cook, stirring for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, with most of their juice and cook for about 3 minutes Add the beans and cook for a further5 mins or until the beans are warmed through and the sauce is thickened.
- Add the lemon juice and serve hot garnished with cilantro.