PSU Lioness's Note:
Don't have salsa or greens on hand? Serve these covered with warmed tomato sauce and sprinkled with shredded Cheddar or other cheese. (From Betty Crocker's "Money Saving Meals" cookbook)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup long-grain white rice (uncooked)
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup Fiber One cereal
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans red beans or 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 small onion, finely chopped (1/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 eggs or 2 egg whites, beaten
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- salad greens (optional)
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1Cook rice in water as directed on package.
- 2Meanwhile, place cereal in resealable food-storage plastic bag; seal bag and crush with rolling pin or meat mallet (or crush in food processor).
- 3In a large bowl, place beans; mash with potato masher or fork.
- 4Stir in onion, bell pepper, cooked rice, egg, 2 tbsp of the cereal, the chili powder, cumin and red pepper.
- 5Shape into 8 patties; coat patties completely with remaining cereal.
- 6Spray 10" skillet with cooking spray.
- 7Cook 4 patties in skillet over Medium heat about 10 minutes, turning once, until brown.
- 8Remove patties from skillet; cover and keep warm while cooking remaining patties.
- 9Serve patties on salad greens (if desired) and top with salsa.
Browse Our Top Long-Grain Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Red Bean and Rice Cakes
Serving Size: 1 (195 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 218.4
- Calories from Fat 15
- Total Fat 1.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 23.2 mg
- Sodium 152.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.6 g
- Sugars 1.4 g
- Protein 12.2 g