Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
In 'Saved by Soup' by Judith Barrett
Make and share this Red Bean and Barley Soup recipe from Food.com.
- In a small saucepan, combine the barley with water to cover; place over med-high heat.
- When the water boils, decrease heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Drain barley, rinse, and drain again; set aside.
- Heat the oil in a 4-quart saucepan over med-high heat.
- Add in onion; cook/stir until begins to soften, 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the beans and broth; bring to a boil.
- Decrease heat to med-low, cover the saucepan, and cook 15 minutes.
- Use a slotted spoon to transfer the beans and onion to a food processor and pulse 4-5 times to finely chop the beans but not puree them.
- Scrape the sides of the work bowl down and pulse the machine 1-2 more times.
- Return the beans to the saucepan with the liquid and stir well to blend.
- Add in the barley and place over med-high heat.
- When the soup comes to a boil, decrease heat to low and simmer, stirring often to prevent the barley from sticking, until the barley is tender, about 30 minutes.
- Stir in the parsley; season with salt to taste, and serve.
- *You may drizzle a teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil over each serving, if you wish.