Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Easy to make; sweet and refreshing! I used two varieties of watermelon-seedless red and seedless yellow! Fresh mint from the garden, too! For the fruit-flavored vinegar, raspberry flavor was used. From Quick and Simple magazine with a few minor changes.
- 3 cups cubed red watermelon, seeded if necessary
- 3 cups cubed yellow watermelon, seeded if necessary
- 1⁄3 cup scallion, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup red onion, diced small
- 2 tablespoons fruit vinegar (white wine or white balsamic can be substituted instead)
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt, to taste
- cracked black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic chives, minced
- In a large salad bowl, combine the watermelon cubes, scallions and red onion.
- In a small non-reactive bowl whisk together the vinegar and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the vinaigrette over the melon mixture. Add the herbs and toss gently to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate 1 hour.
Five stars! This salad is so delicious and refreshing--perfect on a hot summer's day!! I used white wine vinegar as that is what I had on hand, and fresh herbs from my very own garden. All of the flavors complimented each other beautifully! Made for 5 A Day in the photos forum. Thank you, Cookgirl, for a wonderful recipe!
Absolutely loved this salad. We'll be having this one often this summer. I tried the white balsamic version.