Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
Can't decide whether to serve tortellini with red or white sauce? Serve it with both. In this dish, the tortellini is combined in a white sauce which is then served on top of the red sauce. It creates a pretty presentation of the white surrounded by a red border. From the Best of Bridge, Aces cookbook.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomato sauce
Mushroom Parmesan Sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2⁄3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- salt and pepper
- 12 ounces tortellini, fresh or 12 ounces frozen tortellini
- 1 1⁄2 cups mozzarella cheese, grated
- parmesan cheese, grated
- To make Tomato Sauce:.
- Melt butter and saute garlic and onion until tender.
- Add tomato sauce and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- Cook tortellini according to package directions.
- To make Mushroom Sauce:.
- Melt butter and saute mushrooms and green onion until tender.
- Sprinkle with flour, and gradually stir in milk.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture thickens to consistency of mushroom soup.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in parmesan cheese, salt and pepper to taste.
- Add mushroom parmesan sauce to cooked, drained tortellini.
- TO SERVE:.
- Spread tomato sauce over bottom of a large shallow casserole.
- Spoon tortellini mushroom mixture on top leaving a red border of tomato sauce.
- Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and additional parmesan cheese.
- Place under broiler until cheese is melted and golden.
- Serve immediately.