1/2 Photos of Red and White Prawns (Shrimp) With Green Vegetables (Yuan Yang X
This is from a recipe book I recently bought entitled Chinese Cooking Made Easy. They describe the dish as follows "The Chinese name for this dish is Yuan Yang Prawns (Shrimp). Pairs of mandarin ducks are also know as yan yang, or love birds, because they are always seen together. The often symbolize affection and happiness." This dish is usually part of banquet. Times are estimated.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 450 g prawns (shrimp uncooked 1lb)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 egg white
- 1 tablespoon cornflour (cornstarch mix with water to make paste)
- 175 g snow peas (6oz mangetout)
- 575 ml vegetable oil (about - 1 pint 21/2 cups)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon spring onion (finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon ginger (finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry (or Chinese rice wine)
- 1 teaspoon chili bean sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree (paste)
- 1Peel and de-vein the prawns (shrimp) and mix with the pinch of salt, the egg white and the cornflour (cornstarch) past.
- 2Top and tail the snow peas (mangatout).
- 3Heat about 2 to 3 tablespoon of the oil in a preheated wok and stir fry the snow peas (mangetout) for about 1 minute and then add the salt and sugar and continue stirring for another minute, remove and place int he centre of a serving platter.
- 4Heat the remaining oil, par cook the prawns (shrimp) for 1 minute and then remove and drain.
- 5Pour off the excess oil, leaving about 1 tablespoon in the wok and add the spring onion and ginger to flour the oil.
- 6Add the prawns (shrimp) and stir-fry for about 1 minutes, then add the soy sauce and wine or sherry and blend well and place about half of prawns (shrimp) at one end of the platter.
- 7Add the chilli bean sauce and tomato puree (paste) to the remaining prawns (Shrimp) in the wok and blend well and then place the red prawns (shrimp) and the other end of the platter and serve.
Browse Our Top Chinese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chinese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Red and White Prawns (Shrimp) With Green Vegetables (Yuan Yang X
Serving Size: 1 (202 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1229.7
- Calories from Fat 1139
- Total Fat 126.6 g
- Saturated Fat 16.3 g
- Cholesterol 141.7 mg
- Sodium 1228.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 17.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
chili bean sauce