1/10 Photos of Red and White Clam Chowder
Simple, homey, good
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 large onion
- 1 medium carrot
- 1 medium celery rib (I peel off the threads)
- 1/2 small green bell pepper, cored, seeds and ribs removed
- 6 slices lean bacon (80 grams, 1/4 cup finely chopped)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 2 1/2 tablespoons flour
- 1 (200 g) jar baby clams, drained, reserving the liquor
- 3/4 cup clam juice or 3/4 cup water, approximately
- 1 cup 2% low-fat milk (2%)
- 3/4 cup potato, cut into small dice
- 1 (14 ounce) can plum tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pinch thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1Cut the onion, carrot, celery and green pepper in large pieces. In a food processor fitted with a steel blade chop the vegetables finely.
- 2In a small soup pot brown the bacon lightly for 3 minutes. Add the butter and cook for 2 minutes more over low heat.
- 3Scrape the chopped vegetables into the pot with a rubber spatula and reassemble the processor. Saute the vegetables for 5 minutes over low heat.
- 4Sprinkle in the flour and cook the roux stirring for 3 minutes.
- 5Pour the reserved clam liquor in a 4-cup measure and add water or clam nectar to equal 1 1/4 cup. Pour into the pot and mix with the roux.
- 6Stir in the milk and potatoes and simmer over low heat covered for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 7Pulse the tomatoes (I pinch off the stem end and remove any extraneous peel) with their juice and the clams in the processor for 5 seconds.
- 8Pour the tomato-clam mixture in the pot and simmer covered over low heat for 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
- 9Off heat, add the Worcestershire, thyme, Tabasco, salt (I use about 3/4 teaspoon) and pepper to taste.
- 10Let the soup rest about 15 min off heat before serving.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Red and White Clam Chowder
Serving Size: 1 (360 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 358.4
- Calories from Fat 195
- Total Fat 21.7 g
- Saturated Fat 8.7 g
- Cholesterol 56.4 mg
- Sodium 565.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 9.4 g
- Protein 15.0 g