1/1 Photo of Red and White Chicken Enchiladas
Chef Jean Louise's Note:
This is a spiced-up version of a recipe I found in a recent issue of *Cooking for 2*. It's a great way to make use of leftover chicken or holiday turkey.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 (10 ounce) can of diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1/2 chipotle chile in adobo (you can use a whole chipotle for extra kick)
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 3 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon coarse yellow cornmeal
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 1/3 cups sour cream
- 4 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 3 cups grated monterey jack cheese
- 12 (6 inch) corn tortillas
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Heat oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat, add onion and bell pepper and saute until they just begin to brown, remove from heat and set aside.
- 3In a blender or food processor, combine the canned tomatoes, chipotle pepper, garlic, tomato paste and corn meal, blend or process on high speed until smooth and then pour the red sauce into a shallow mixing bowl that's at least six or seven inches in diameter.
- 4In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine soup and sour cream.
- 5Spread 1/2 of the soup and sour cream mixture over the bottom of a 9 x 13 inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- 6Taking one corn tortilla, dip it into the red sauce to coat both sides, then place about one tbs. of the cheese and 1/3 cup of the chicken in the center of the tortilla, roll it up and place it in the bottom of the baking dish, continue until you have a single layer of enchiladas covering the bottom of the dish (I was able to fit in ten enchiladas, eight placed side by side vertically with two more placed horizontally at the top of the dish).
- 7If you have any red sauce left over, pour it over the enchiladas, and distribute any remaining chicken over the top.
- 8Spread the other 1/2 of the soup and sour cream mixture over the top of everything.
- 9Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and the onion and bell pepper.
- 10Bake in the center of the oven for 20-25 minutes until bubbly and heated through.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Red and White Chicken Enchiladas
Serving Size: 1 (395 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 794.2
- Calories from Fat 423
- Total Fat 47.0 g
- Saturated Fat 24.3 g
- Cholesterol 176.2 mg
- Sodium 1159.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 52.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
chipotle chiles in adobo