1/1 Photo of Red and Sweet Potato Swirl With Caramelized Onions
1 hr 5 mins
This dish is very elegant. Make sure you prepare the 2 types of potatoes separately. They don't blend or 'swirl' till they're in the dutch oven.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 large vidalia onion, chopped (or sweet onion)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 1/2 lbs red potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and left whole
- 2 1/2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 1/2 cups milk, divided
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 ounces bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled (for garnish)
- 1CARAMELIZE THE ONIONS: Melt 1 tbsp butter in large skillet over med-high heat. Add onions and sugar and cook, stirring often, 25 minutes till onions are a golden brown and caramelized. Remove from heat, set aside.
- 2BOIL POTATOES SEPARATELY: Meanwhile, while onions are caramelizing, place potatoes in two pots large enough for water to cover potatoes. Add the garlic cloves to the pot with the red potatoes. Bring both pots to a boil, reduce to med heat and cook until tender, about 20 minutes, then drain in colanders.
- 3PREP RED POTATOES: Beat red potatoes and garlic with electric mixer till mashed. Add 1/2 cup milk, sour cream and 2 tbsp butter. Continue beating till smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 4PREP SWEET POTATOES: Beat sweet potatoes until mashed. Add remaining 3/4 cup milk and 2 tbsp butter, the brown sugar and vanilla. Beat till smooth, season with salt to taste.
- 5ASSEMBLE: Preheat oven to 350°F Lightly grease a 3-quart baking dish. Place the red mashed potatoes in the bottom. Spread sweet potato mixture over red potato mixture. Swirl by cutting through mixture gently with the flat side of a knife. Top with the onion mixture. Cover and bake for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with bacon crumbs and serve.
Browse Our Top Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Red and Sweet Potato Swirl With Caramelized Onions
Serving Size: 1 (389 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 440.1
- Calories from Fat 181
- Total Fat 20.1 g
- Saturated Fat 9.7 g
- Cholesterol 43.6 mg
- Sodium 809.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.0 g
- Sugars 9.9 g
- Protein 9.4 g