Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large baking potatoes (peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick)
- 2 onions, quartered lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
- 2 -3 sprigs fresh rosemary, leaves finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth or 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 bunch kale, stemmed and coarsely chopped
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 3 large roasted red peppers
- 4 slices crusty whole grain bread
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled and halved
- 1 cup shredded asiago cheese
- In a medium soup pot, heat the EVOO , 4 turns of the pan, over medium to medium-high heat.
- Add the potatoes, onions, rosemary and bay leaf; season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, 7 to 8 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil, 6 to 8 minutes. Add the kale in batches and cook until wilted, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes.
- Using a food processor or a mini chopper, puree the roasted peppers.
- Stir the pureed peppers into the soup pot, lower the heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes. Discard the bay leaf.
- Meanwhile, preheat the broiler; toast the bread, rub with the garlic halves and top with the cheese.
- Melt the cheese under the broiler for 1 minute. Serve the stoup with the toasts.