Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This festive pasta with vibrant red and green ingredients is great as a side dish for the Christmas table.
- 3 lbs farfalle pasta
- 1 cup sun-dried tomato, drained and chopped (packed in oil or water)
- 1 cup roasted red pepper, drained and chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can green peas, drained
- 1 cup broccoli floret
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup pine nuts
- 3 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup toasted walnuts (optional) or 1⁄2 cup almonds (optional)
- Cook farfalle pasta al dente per package directions and drain in colander.
- Fill a 1-quart pot with approximately 1 inch of water on the bottom, and bring to a soft boil. Add broccoli florets, cover, and steam for 2-3 minutes until just softened. Drain water and pat broccoli dry between paper towels.
- Combine basis with pine nuts in a food processor and pulse a few times. Add garlic and cheese and pulse a few times more.
- Slowly add the olive oil to the food processor in a constant stream while the processor is running. Scrape sides with a rubber spatula and pulse until you have a consistent pesto sauce. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Combine pasta, sun-dried tomatoes, red peppers, peas, and broccoli in a large bowl. Stir in pesto sauce until thoroughly combined.
- Optional: If you want to add some crunch, stir in the toasted walnuts or almonds.
- Can be served warm or cold.