Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Roasted beets with a blood orange vinaigrette, garnished with Belgian endive and toasted walnuts
- 1 lb red beet
- 1 lb golden beets
- 1⁄2 cup shelled walnuts
- 2 blood oranges
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1⁄2 orange, zest of, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 lb Belgian endive
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Wash the beets and roast them, tightly covered, with 1/4 cup of water.
- Roast for 1 hour or until tender.
- Place the walnuts on a baking sheet and toast them in the oven for about 5 minutes.
- With a sharp knife, trim off the top and bottom of each orange.
- Pare of the rest of each peel, making sure to remove all pith.
- Slice the oranges into 1/4 inch rounds.
- Make a vinaigrette by mixing together the vinegar, orange juice, and zest.
- Stir in olive oil.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- When the beets are cool enough to handle, peel them and slice into rounds.
- Toss the beets gently with the vinaigrette, and arrange the beets on a place with the orange slices and Belgian endive leaves.
- Sprinkle with the toasted walnuts.
excellent recipe! I made a few slight changes, I peeled the beets before roasting them, they were still done in an hour. I left out the endive completely, and actually tossed the blood orange slices in with the beets. Thanks for sharing such a wonderful addition!
Great recipe - easy to prepare, looks excellent, and a wonderful variety of flavours and textures. Someone who takes good food photos must photograph it! My only alteration was to use just red beets because I had a lot of them in the house. I look forward to making this for company, it is delightful. Thanks for sharing the recipe!