Recipe by Dee514
This recipe was posted in answer to a request for Dutch (Netherlands) recipes. The recipe comes from the book: "Cooking into Europe - Choice Common Market Dishes" (1973). This recipe was copied word for word from the book.
- 4 ounces flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 ounces butter
- water, to mix
- 10 ounces curd cheese
- 3 -4 tablespoons double cream (heavy cream)
- 4 ounces pine nuts (pine nuts)
- 2 egg whites, beaten until frothy
- 1 egg yolk, well beaten
- 6 ounces demerara sugar
- 1⁄2 ounce ground ginger
- cider, to mix if required
Directions See How It's Made
- Make a short crust pastry with the flour, salt, butter and water.
- Roll it out.
- Line a shallow springform cake tin, 6 1/2-inches in diameter, keeping enough pastry back to form a lid.
- Mix curd cheese with the cream, pine kernels, egg whites (beaten until frothy), the sugar and ginger.
- Add any cider needed to work the mixture into a smooth paste (except for the kernels).
- Place the filling in the pie crust and cover with a pastry lid.
- Glaze the lid with the egg yolk, well beaten.
- Bake in a moderate oven (GM 4, 350°F, 180°C), for about 45 minutes.
- Serve warm or cold.