For those wishing to have more control over sodium content, and for wheat-free/gluten-free cooking. Use in casserole recipes or add milk for soup.
My Private Note
can con ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup diced fresh mushrooms (approx 1/4 pound)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup milk (nonfat, whole, 2%, Half-n-Half, all work)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried onion flakes
- 4 pinches celery seeds
- 4 pinches garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (more to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 1/2 tablespoons sweet rice flour
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1Melt 1 T butter in heavy saucepan over medium heat.
- 2Add mushrooms and saute' for 1 minute.
- 3Remove mushrooms from pan and reserve.
- 4(Mushrooms will now measure approximately 1/2 cup. One half cup of canned, drained mushroom bits can be substituted for mushrooms and 1 T butter, if desired. If so, skip saute' step.) In same saucepan, heat 4 T butter, evaporated milk, and 1/2 cup milk.
- 5Stir in onion flakes, celery seed, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- 6Separately, make a smooth paste of the sweet rice flour and 1/4 cup milk.
- 7Add paste slowly to the heating mixture.
- 8Stir constantly until thickened.
- 9Stir in reserved mushrooms and heat through.
- 10This is equivalent to one can condensed cream of mushroom soup.
- 11May be frozen.
- 12VARIATION: Substitute 1 cup diced celery for fresh mushrooms for"Cream of Celery Soup" VARIATION: Substitute 1 cup diced raw chicken for fresh mushrooms and saute' for 3 minutes OR substitute 1/2 cup diced COOKED chicken for canned mushrooms.
- 13NOTE: Use in casserole recipes or add 1 cup milk for soup.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Recipe-Ready Condensed Cream of Soup - Homemade Substitute -G F
Serving Size: 1 (482 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 913.3
- Calories from Fat 670
- Total Fat 74.5 g
- Saturated Fat 46.5 g
- Cholesterol 214.8 mg
- Sodium 1800.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 19.4 g