Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
A terrifically tasty way to recycle leftover meat and that little dab of gravy into something new and wonderful. From the Creole chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 3 small onions, peeled
- 2 tablespoons fat
- 1 cup stock
- 1⁄2 cup gravy (leftover is fine)
- 1 cup cooked meat, cubed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, peeled and sliced
- 3 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1⁄2 cup prune juice
- 1⁄2 cup stewed prune
- Slice onions and fry until golden.
- Add stock, gravy, meat, salt, pepper and vegetables.
- Cook slowly until vegetables are tender.
- Add prune juice and boil 5 minutes.
- Serve on a platter surrounded with stewed prunes.