Recipe by Pneuma
a Mexican paste used in cooking and coloring some traditional Mexican dishes. Serving size depends on how much would be needed for the dish/es you plan to make.
- 1 tablespoon oregano, yucateco toasted in a heavy skillet (or Mexican oregano)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 4 tablespoons annatto seeds (aka achiote)
- 12 whole allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon peppercorn
- 3 -6 tablespoons water (vinegar's better) or 3 -6 tablespoons white vinegar (vinegar's better)
Directions See How It's Made
- Grind all the spices in a blender or mortar and pestle until fine, then pass through a sieve to remove any stems or shells. Grind and strain again until until they're very fine.
- In a small bowl, add water or vinegar to the spice mix. Mix until it becomes a stiff paste.
- Storage: This paste stores well in the freezer.