Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 hrs
Rebollita in Italian means "reboiled". This is a slightly changed verison of recipe from William-Sonoma's SOUP FOR SUPPER...and modified for the crock pot. Easy and tasty. Freezes well.(Refrigeration time is not included in Cooking Time.)
- 1 (10 ounce) package coleslaw mix
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup cooked ham, diced
- 4 slices bacon
- 4 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can white beans, drained
- 4 -6 cups chicken broth (more for thinner soup preference)
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili sauce or 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- black pepper
- 2 -3 drops Tabasco sauce
- 4 -6 slices Italian bread, 1/2 thick
- Chop bacon into ½” pieces and sauté until almost done.
- Add onions, garlic, and celery; cook to soften, about 8 minutes.
- Add all to crock pot.
- Add remaining ingredients and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours.
- Cool and refrigerate overnight for best flavor.
- To serve: Reheat; and place slices of bread in bottom of soup bowls and ladle hot Ribollita over bread.
Fabulous soup. I was looking to use up some ham, cabbage & fresh tomatoes out of the garden. Loved the addition of the chili/hot sauce. Used navy beans & kept all other ingredients as listed. Very tasty recipe, thanks for sharing
Loved the ease of preparation, a real quick throw together. Used a mild salsa and some store bought zesty spaghetti sauce. The result was truly wonderful.
There is one word for this soup... delicious! I made this in Dutch oven instead of a crockpot and I used a large can of diced tomatoes instead of fresh tomatoes and increased the chili sauce to about 1/3 cup (I didn't really even measure lol!) and increased the garlic.... what a great idea to add in already shredded coleslaw mix what a huge timesaver! I simmered this soup for about 1-1/2 hours on top of the stove, I also added in baby meatballs along with the cooked ham, We really enjoyed this soup, thanks for sharing this great soup recipe Caroline!...Kitten:)