Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
My hubby says this is the best kugel ever--high praise as he normally won't touch kugel. Lovely!:) Enjoy!! Update: I've sort of doubled this recipe (used a 4.8 qt. or #234 Pyrex pan (15 x 10 x 3 inches), still used same # of eggs, noodles, sugar, raisins, and cottage cheese but dbld. the cream cheese and vanilla; as a variation replaced the applesauce with sour cream plus I threw in about 1 1/2 cups ricotta cheese. Great!! By the way the topping is optional and then no need to cover pan while baking just check often to make sure top does not burn. To serve cut the kugel into small squares and enjoy either warm, cold or at room temperature. Note: The nutmeg and cinnamon are to taste (I use half a pinch of nutmeg and/or about one teaspoon of cinnamon).
- 340.19 g package egg noodles (such as Maneschewitz)
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 3.69 ml vanilla extract
- 314.66 ml sugar
- 44.37 ml sour cream
- 226.79 g package cream cheese, at room temperature
- 680.38 g cottage cheese
- 453.59 g applesauce (I use cinnamon flavored)
- 236.59 ml golden raisin
- 118.29 ml melted butter (1 stick)
- 473.18-709.77 ml frosted flakes, crushed (or corn flakes, enough to cover kugel)
- 29.58-44.37 ml melted butter
- Cook noodles in a large pot of boiling water, according to package directions. Rinse the noodles with cold water and let drain in a colander.
- Beat the eggs in a large mixing bowl. Add the vanilla, sugar, sour cream, softened cream cheese, cottage cheese, and applesauce and beat with an electric mixer until combined.
- Use a wooden spoon to stir in the drained noodles, nutmeg, cinnamon, raisins, and melted butter, mixing well to coat.
- Using a rubber spatula, spread mixture evenly into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish. I transfer the kugel to a foil-lined baking sheet to catch any overflow.
- Make the topping: in a medium bowl, combine the crushed frosted flakes (or cornflakes) with enough melted butter to moisten. Add a little cinnamon if you like.
- Spread evenly over the top of the kugel.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake in a preheated 350F degree oven for one hour.
- Uncover and bake an additional 30 minutes, checking frequently to make sure top does not burn (cover if top is getting too crispy, and bake until done).
- Let kugel cool slightly before cutting into squares to serve. Makes 12-24 servings (depending on size of squares). May be eaten warm, cold, or at room temperature.Enjoy!