Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Great easy recipe with a zing! Thicker, dense or day old bread works best.
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic salt
- 6 slices bread, about 1/2 inch thick
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon light olive oil
- powdered sugar, for dusting (optional)
- warm maple syrup (optional) or fresh fruit (optional)
- Whisk the egss with the milk, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and garlic salt.
- Pour the mixture into a baking dish just big enough to hold the bread in 1 layer. Place the bread slices in the egg mixture , turn and let them soak at least 5 minutes, turning the slices once or twice more.
- Heat a large, heavy skillet over medium heat and add the butter and olive oil. When the butter has stopped foaming, add the bread in batches and cook until the slices are golden brown on both sides. Lower the heat if the bread browns too quickly or it will not cook all the way through.
- Place the finished French toast on plates and top with your choice of powdered sugar, maple syrup or fresh fruit. Serve immediately.