Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is a great sandwich rye that I came up with. We love the addition of the dehydrated onions, but it's great without them as well. Sometimes I will use 3 cups white and 1 cup rye and sometimes I use 2 cups white, 1 cup white whole wheat and 1 cup rye. This makes a 2 pound loaf in my Zojirushi bread machine.
- 1 2⁄3 cups water
- 4 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup rye flour
- 2 cups white bread flour
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour (King Arthur brand)
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons caraway seeds
- 3 tablespoons dehydrated onion
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 4 teaspoons molasses
- 4 teaspoons gluten
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons bread machine yeast
- Place the ingredients in the above order in your machine (or in the order recommended by the manufacturer).
- I run my machine on "Basic", "Light Crust".
I made this bread and found it to be very flat in flavor. The recipe I printed out did not call for salt. Maybe now that the recipe includes salt the flavor would be better.
Chewy, yet tender! I used the ABM dough cycle and baked as two 1-lb loaves in my oven at 375F for 25 minutes; I made as written with 2 cups bread flour, 1 cup rye, and 1 cup whole wheat, the onions, and the caraway seeds ~ I added 1 teaspoon lemon juice to extend the freshness, and also added 1 1/2 teaspoons salt that I believe had been omitted from the recipe by mistake. Made for Spring PAC 2009 ~ Thanks Baby Rebecca!
Came out perfectly and was exactly the style of rye that I was looking for- a hearty, chewy loaf with lots of flavor. I will be making regularly. I did use the onions.