Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
In Goodfellas the movie, (and Casino) they love their rich meat sauces, (unlike the fairly bland British varion of Bolognese). The finished recipe should look a rich red colour. Don't bother with this unless you have sun dried tomatoes.
- 1 lb lean ground beef or 1 lb lamb
- 1 cup sun-dried tomato paste
- 2 cups tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 small red onion
- 2 cloves chopped garlic
- 3 tablespoons red wine (or balsamic vinegar)
- 1 teaspoon strong mustard
- 3 ounces smokey bacon
- 1 stalk celery, short
- 4 teaspoons brown sugar
- extra virgin olive oil
- Fry onions briskly in a little oil.
- Add mince and fry at high heat until brown.
- (remove fat from pan).
- Add the tomato puree and drop the heat to medium.
- Stir in the sun dried tomato paste.
- Add salt.
- Add pepper.
- Add garlic.
- Add red wine.
- Add mustard.
- Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Chop bacon into little pieces the size of croutons and fry in a little oil in a small frying pan until cooked.
- Add bacon to bolognese.
- Add chopped raw celery (no need to boil it).
- Add brown sugar.
- Simmer on low heat for 1 hour.
- Serve with your favorite pasta.
I love this recipe. It is really rich in flavor. I made this 6 times and it tasted REALLY GOOD everytime <33333 thank you very much!
Went down a treat! Was really surprised that balsamic vinegar could replace the red wine, but it worked well. Takes quite a while to cook, but worth the wait...