9 hrs 20 mins
A mild "gringo" chili with beans. Serve with cornbread.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs ground sirloin
- 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
- 1 medium green bell peppers or 1 medium yellow bell peppers or 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (15 ounce) cans red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 (14 3/4 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt, to tate
- 3 -4 large ripe tomatoes, finely diced
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 lime, juice of
- garlic powder
- 1In a large skillet over med-high heat, cook the ground sirloin, onion, bell pepper, and garlic until the meat is browned, breaking up any clumps; drain.
- 2Transfer mixture to a slow cooker; add in the kidney beans, tomatoes, sauce, broth, chili powder, oregano, and cumin; stir to mix well.
- 3Cover and cook on LOW for 8-9 hours, stirring occasionally.
- 4Season with salt to taste during the last hour of cooking.
- 5To make the salsa cruda: combine all the ingredients in a bowl; refrigerate until ready to serve; if you must make the salsa the night before, add the cilantro and lime juice at the last minute.
- 6Serve the chili in bowls topped with salsa, cheese, and avocado slices.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Really Old-Fashioned Chili With Salsa Cruda
Serving Size: 1 (427 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 402.1
- Calories from Fat 114
- Total Fat 12.6 g
- Saturated Fat 4.8 g
- Cholesterol 73.7 mg
- Sodium 582.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.8 g
- Sugars 8.0 g
- Protein 35.1 g