Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
A mild "gringo" chili with beans. Serve with cornbread.
Top Review by Velouria
I was going to post this recipe but found it already here. I just made this chili, and my family loved it. I highly recommend this slow cooker recipe. I served it with the salsa cruda, cheddar cheese, avocado, and a dollop of sour cream on top and homemade corn muffins on the side. The toppings make this mild chili special. My toddler really liked this (without the salsa) over macaroni and topped with cheddar.
- 2 lbs ground sirloin
- 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
- 1 medium green bell peppers or 1 medium yellow bell peppers or 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (15 ounce) cans red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 (14 3/4 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt, to tate
- 3 -4 large ripe tomatoes, finely diced
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1⁄3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 lime, juice of
- garlic powder
- shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- sliced avocado
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet over med-high heat, cook the ground sirloin, onion, bell pepper, and garlic until the meat is browned, breaking up any clumps; drain.
- Transfer mixture to a slow cooker; add in the kidney beans, tomatoes, sauce, broth, chili powder, oregano, and cumin; stir to mix well.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8-9 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Season with salt to taste during the last hour of cooking.
- To make the salsa cruda: combine all the ingredients in a bowl; refrigerate until ready to serve; if you must make the salsa the night before, add the cilantro and lime juice at the last minute.
- Serve the chili in bowls topped with salsa, cheese, and avocado slices.