Recipe by Chef Jean
This cake is of course very very moist since it is a tres leches cake, but the added flavor of the chocolate and hazelnuts are wonderful. Trust me on the cranberries, they really add a sweet little surprise throughout the cake. The icing is really easy and very sweet and creamy. A small piece is all you need. Prep/cook time does not include chilling time.
Top Review by CarrolJ
I probably am not a good person to rate this...I had never eaten a Tres Leches Cake before...and didn't care for the wet texture, although I loved the taste of the frosting. My husband ate his entire piece and said it was okay. I really don't know what would be the best number of stars under the circumstances. Made for Hidden Gems Fall 2009.
- 1 (28 ounce) box yellow cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 2⁄3 cup dried cranberries, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup creme fraiche
- 1⁄2 cup nutella
TRES LECHES SAUCE
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 cup milk
- 1 (7 ounce) jar marshmallow cream
- 1⁄4 cup nutella
- 1⁄2 cup creme fraiche
- 1⁄2 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Mix together the cake mix, eggs, oil and water until well blended.
- Pour half the better into another bowl. In one bowl stir in the chopped cranberries. In the other bowl stir in the nutella and creme fraiche.
- Pour the batters back into the same bowl and gently fold 3 or 4 time to create a marble cake.
- Pour into a greased 13"x9" pan and bake for about 25 minutes. A toothpick will come out with crumbs, but not be wet.
- As soon as the cake comes out of the oven make the sauce.
- Combine the three milks in sauce pan and heat just until the condensed milk melts into the other milks.
- Poke holes all over the cake with a toothpick or fork then pour the sauce over the cake. It will all soak in, don't worry. Refrigerate the cake for about 1 hour.
- When cake has cooled completely make the icing.
- Mix together the creme fraiche and nutella. Sprinkle the gelatin over the mixture and let sit for about a minute. Stir until the gelatin is completely mixed inches.
- Stir in half the jar of marshmallow cream until very well blended. Then do the same with the other half. The icing is pretty thin. Pour over the cake a spread to completely cover the top of the cake. Refrigerate for 4-24 hours before serving. The longer the better.