Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
I just use regular yellow onions, you can use sweet onions if you wish, these taste just as good at room temperature as they do hot, you can make hours in advance then just crisp them up on a baking sheet, seasoned salt only for this ;-)
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup full-fat milk (or use 2% milk)
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour, divided
- 2 teaspoons seasoning salt (more if desired)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 medium onions, peeled and sliced into 1/2-inch rings
- oil (for frying)
- seasoning salt, for sprinkling on top of cooked rings
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a large heavy pot or deep-fryer to 375 degrees (use enough oil to about 2-inches or more up the sides of the pot).
- Place 1/2 cup flour into a medium bowl.
- Add in all the onion rings, then cover the bowl with a plate; shake the covered bowl gently to coat the rings with the flour.
- In a medium bowl whisk together egg, milk, 1/3 cup oil, 2 teaspoons (or more) seasoned salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper until well combined.
- Add in 1 cup flour and 1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder; whisk vigorously until well combined.
- Remove a few floured onion rings from the bowl, then coat in the egg mixture.
- Place into hot oil and fry until golden brown turning once (watch closely these cook fast!).
- Place into a bowl then sprinkle with seasoned salt while hot.
- Continue with remaining onions.