Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
I think you will really enjoy this meatloaf, I know my family does! ---if you have any left overs just warm slightly and serve in crusty buns with BBQ sauce --- this is great served with mashed taters or fries, the topping recipe may be doubled if desired ----- *note* if you want to take this meatloaf to another level and make this company-worthy prepare the meatloaf with the stuffing mixture in the middle, this is only optional the meatloaf is still delicious by itself --- prep time does not include preparing the stuffing mixture.
Top Review by Chris Reynolds
I usually put sausage in my meatloaf instead of ground pork, but ground pork is what I had on hand, so I found this recipe. I used oatmeal (personal preference) instead of bread crumbs, but everything else was the same as called for in the recipe. Excellent! Thanks for sharing.
- 907.18 g ground beef
- 226.79 g ground pork
- 1 onion, minced
- 14.79 ml fresh minced garlic (or use 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder)
- 118.29 ml chili sauce (or use 1/4 cup of each!) or 118.29 ml ketchup (or use 1/4 cup of each!)
- 118.29 ml seasoned dry bread crumb (more if needed)
- 59.14 ml milk
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 44.37 ml Worcestershire sauce (one more tablespoon won't hurt!)
- 2.46-4.92 ml dried oregano
- 4.92-9.85 ml dried basil
- 9.85 ml seasoning salt (can use white salt)
- 4.92 ml fresh ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 118.29-177.44 ml ketchup
- brown sugar (start with 2 tablespoons and add in more to taste)
STUFFING MIXTURE (THIS IS ONLY OPTIONAL)
- 44.37-59.16 ml butter
- 226.79 g fresh sliced mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4.92 ml dried thyme (rubbed between fingers to release the oils)
- 473.18 ml fresh breadcrumbs
- 29.58 ml fresh parsley
- 2.46 ml salt (or to taste)
- fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350°F.
- Prepare a 9 x 5-inch baking pan and a baking sheet covered with foil to place underneath to catch any drippings.
- Using clean hands mix together all meatloaf ingredients except the 1/2 to 3/4 cup ketchup and the brown sugar, until well combined in a large bowl (adding in a little more breadcrumbs if needed).
- Pack the mixture into prepared pan.
- Place the pan on a foil-lined baking sheet to catch any spills.
- Bake for about 1 hour.
- Mix together ketchup with enough brown sugar to taste (start with 2 tablespoons adding in as much brown sugar as you desire to reach desired sweetness).
- After the 1 hour of baking, remove the meat loaf (at this point you can carefully drain off some of the fat if desired) and spread the ketchup/brown sugar mixture over the top.
- Place back in the oven and bake for another 15-20 minutes, or until the meat loaf is pulling away from the sides of the pan.
- OPTIONAL for the stuffing mixture; melt butter in a skillet over medium heat; add in mushrooms, onion and thyme, cook stirring until the mushrooms brown and loose their moisture.
- Add in the soft breadcrumbs and cook until lightly browned.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread evenly onto the bottom layer of beef mixture, then press down slightly.
- Top with layer of beef mixture and bake as stated.