Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
I can't remember who puts out that famous red & white checkered cookbook, but this mac & cheese recipe is theirs. This is what my mom made us since we were kids and any mac & cheese that doesn't contain sauteed onions and real cheese is crapola, in my opinion. And although I have a fondness for the traditional elbows, a rotini pasta grabs the sauce much better. Remember NEVER to add oil or butter to the water you boil the pasta in or the sauce will not cling as well. This goes for all pasta. If you love your children you will NEVER feed them any mac & cheese from a box or made with Velveeta, no matter how easy it is to whip up. Show you care, cube some real cheddar and make a white sauce. Use a good pasta, too. I prefer Barilla, but Ronzoni is a close second.
- 1 lb sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 lb elbow macaroni or 1 lb rotini pasta
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons flour
- sea salt
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 2 cups milk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and get a large pot of water boiling.
- Cube the cheese.
- Start cooking the pasta while preparing the cheese sauce.
- Saute onion in butter until soft and transparent.
- Add flour, salt and pepper, cooking for one minute.
- Add milk slowly, continuously stirring.
- Cook over medium heat until the mixture thickens.
- Add cheese gradually until all the cheese is melted.
- When pasta is al dente, drain pasta and pour cheese sauce into the pot and stir well.
- Pour into a 13 x 9 (or slightly larger) baking pan that's been sprayed with Pam.
- Bake for 30 (minimum) to 40 minutes.
Excellent Mac & Cheese. Loved the flavor of the onions with the sharp cheddar. Easy to put together to have homemade. Will make this again. Thanks for sharing. :) Made for Bargain Basement Tag Game
This is good,I had a taste as I just put it in the oven with no changes.I have a red/white check cookbook and it is Better Homes & Gardens.Thanks for the recipe.
Thanks for this recipe. I added 1/2 pound of ground sausage and my family absolutely loved this. I also used cabot 50% light cheddar cheese. A tasty treat that I am sure will be requested again soon!