Recipe by Linda's Kitchen
This recipe is for people who think they don't like sauerkraut. I usually serve it over garlic mashed potatoes. I always use a roast, it is so good!
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 8 country-style pork ribs or 1 pork roast
- 8 slices bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, sliced 1/4-inch
- 3 cups sauerkraut, drained
- 1 cup apple, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon caraway seed
- 1 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 325 degrees.
- In 10" skillet melt butter until sizzling; add ribs or roast.
- Cook over medium high heat, turning occasionally, until meat is browned.(7 to 10 minutes.). Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in Dutch oven cook bacon over medium high heat, stirring occasionally, until partially cooked(4 minutes).
- Add onions and carrots; continue cooking until bacon is browned (4 to 5 minutes).Drain off fat.
- Stir in remaining ingredients and meat. Cover; bake for 2 hours.
- Remove cover; continue baking for 80 to 90 minutes or until meat is fork tender.
- Skim fat and remove bay leaves.