Recipe by redwine
An inexpensive alternative to those jar salsas. It disappears at gatherings and the recipe is always requested. I got this recipe several years ago from a neighbor who has since moved, but I think of her every time I make this. Use more or less jalapeño peppers according to heat level desired. I have deleted the bell pepper and used sweet banana peppers. This recipe can be tweaked according to one's personal taste. More or less onion etc. Enjoy!!
Top Review by smellyvegetarian
Wow! I think another apt name would be Really Kicky Salsa! This stuff'll bite ya...but in a good way! I used one jalapeno but a very strong chili powder, and a 10 oz can of tomatoes with chiles as that was all I could find. The vinegar in this adds a unique touch. I can see throwing this together for potlucks and parties in the future! Thanks for posting. Made for PAC Spring 2011.
- 1 (14 ounce) candel monte Mexican-style tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄8 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium bell pepper, diced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and diced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain tomatoes and reserve liquid.
- Chop tomatoes into desired size pieces.
- Put tomatoes and reserved liquid into small sauce pan.
- Add all other ingredients.
- Cook over low heat to blend flavors.
- Cool and refrigerate.
- Serve with a good restaurant-style corn chip.