Recipe by faith58
I got this out of a cookbook years ago and they never last long. They are so good.. I didn't have a cake box right on hand so estimated the size. This is great for company. Hope you enjoy as much as we do. Also if you don't want to use the chocolate mint you can use devil's food cake mix. The base is the cake mix and butter and egg The filling is the unflavored gelatin, boiling water, powdered sugar, butter, shortening and peppermint extract and green food coloring. The frosting is the chocolate chips and 3 tbsp butter.. Just wanted to make sure everyone understood. :) also you can use margarine instead of butter. I love butter though.
Top Review by Merlot
Wow!!!! These are soooo good. The combination of chocolate and mint is "right on". I had a few guests over for coffee/tea and these lovely bars. They were inhaled by my guests. I am making them again for our church bazzar next weekend. Another fine recipe from faith58. Thanks so much!
- 1 (18 1/2 ounce) boxpillsbury plus mint chocolate cake mix
- 1⁄3 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 ounce unflavored gelatin
- 1⁄4 cup boiling water
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2 -3 drops green food coloring
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350. Grease 15x10x1-inch jelly roll pan.
- In large bowl, combine all base ingredients at low speed until crumbly. Press in bottom of prepared pan. Bake at 350°F for 10 minutes. Cool completely.
- Dissolve gelatin in boiling water; cool slightly. In large bowl, combine dissolved gelatin and 2 cups powdered sugar. Add 1/2 cup butter, shortening, peppermint extract and food coloring. beat 1 minute at medium speed or until smooth and creamy. Blend in remaining 2 cups powdered sugar until smooth. Spread filling evenly over cooled base.
- In small saucepan over low heat, melt chocolate chips and 3 tb butter, stirring constantly until well blended. Spoon frosting over filling, carefully spreading to cover. Refrigerate until firm, cut into bars. Store in refrigerator.
- Tip. for easier cutting, remove from refrigerator 20 minutes before serving.