This soup takes only a few minutes to prepare and it is ...really good! Be prepared to serve immediately for best results. This is from Fine Cooking, Spring 2002
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 medium carrot, minced
- 1 stalk celery, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons dry sherry
- 12 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (about 3 cups)
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leave, minced
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1Heat butter in large heavy-bottomed pan over medium heat until foaming; add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened.
- 2Add carrot, celery and garlic; cook until garlic is softened slightly, about 1 minute.
- 3Add flour and cook, stirring to coat vegetables, until mixture begins to brown on bottom of pot.
- 4Gradually whisk in chicken broth and half-and-half and add bay leaf.
- 5Increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until vegetables soften, about 10 minutes.
- 6Take mixture off heat and add cayenne and sherry; cool soup for a minute.
- 7Slowly whisk in cheese and thyme; season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Really Good Cheddar Soup
Serving Size: 1 (310 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 721.0
- Calories from Fat 497
- Total Fat 55.2 g
- Saturated Fat 34.5 g
- Cholesterol 168.1 mg
- Sodium 658.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 29.7 g