Recipe by Sharlene~W
This soup takes only a few minutes to prepare and it is ...really good! Be prepared to serve immediately for best results. This is from Fine Cooking, Spring 2002
Top Review by chia
the prep time is not 5 minutes, and i can mince and dice with the best of them! it was more like 30. soup had a nice flavor, i used extra sharp cheddar, but it needed additional condiments at the table
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 medium carrot, minced
- 1 stalk celery, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 1⁄2 cups half-and-half
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons dry sherry
- 12 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (about 3 cups)
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leave, minced
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat butter in large heavy-bottomed pan over medium heat until foaming; add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened.
- Add carrot, celery and garlic; cook until garlic is softened slightly, about 1 minute.
- Add flour and cook, stirring to coat vegetables, until mixture begins to brown on bottom of pot.
- Gradually whisk in chicken broth and half-and-half and add bay leaf.
- Increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until vegetables soften, about 10 minutes.
- Take mixture off heat and add cayenne and sherry; cool soup for a minute.
- Slowly whisk in cheese and thyme; season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.