Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This richly flavoured dish of chicken, garlic, herbs and wine is wonderfully aromatic and perfect for entertaining. I couldn't believe the amount of garlic that goes into this dish! But don't hold back, it is one of the most satisfying dishes to make as it smells gorgeous in the oven and when you take the lid off the casserole! Wow - as the rich aromas of hit all your senses. It is great fun squishing the cooked garlic between the prongs of a fork to release the fantastic flavours.
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 stick celery, chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped mixed fresh herbs, e.g. tarragon, chervil, thyme
- 1 (2 1/2 lb) free-range chicken
- 40 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 1 lemon, pared rind and juice
- 2⁄3 cup dry white wine
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large heavy-based flame-proof casserole dish. Add the chopped onions and celery and cook for a few minutes until just beginning to soften.
- Add half the herbs and place the chicken on top.
- Scatter the garlic cloves around the chicken. Don't worry about peeling 40 garlic cloves, part of the fun of eating this dish is squishing the juicy cloves from the skins as you are eating.
- Add the pared lemon rind and squeeze the lemon juice over the chicken.
- Pour in the wine and the rest of the olive oil. Scatter over the remaining herbs and season with salt and pepper.
- Cover the casserole dish and cook in the oven for 1 hour.
- Uncover and cook for a further 20 minutes to brown the chicken.
- Serve with creamy mashed potatoes with the garlicky juices poured over the top.