Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This is an extraordinarily easy recipe and so very good on a cold day. I found it in a Better Homes and Gardens Busy Woman's Cookbook that my mother has had for years. Adjust the seasonings to your preference. I've added oregano and garlic and it's turned out well.
- 680.38 g stewing beef, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 onion, chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 2 carrots, cleaned and chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 3 small potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 297.66 g can tomato soup
- 4.92 ml salt
- 4.92 ml pepper
- 4.92 ml basil
- Put the meat, carrots, onion and spices into a Dutch oven.
- Cover with tomato soup, making sure all the pieces are covered.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 3 hours.
- Add potatoes and cook for an additional 45 minutes.
This is pretty much how my mother used to make beef stew. Simple, easy, tasty and smell great while it cooking. I did add a couple of dashes of Worcestershire and lots of pepper. Thanks for sharing a dish that was greatly appreciated on a cold dreary day. Made for Cookbook Tag.
This is very easy to make. I doubled the recipe to feed my hungry boys. It was very good, but I felt that it still needed some more flavor. I'd add some garlic, thyme and parsley next time. Maybe even some extra veggies, too. All in all, it's good and would make a good crockpot recipe. Thanx!