Recipe by Normaone
This is another dish that I would rather have than dessert. It truly is comfort food at its finest.
Top Review by SouthernSusie
This is the BEST mac and cheese recipe EVER. I have been making this for years. I usually cut back on the amount of worcestershire - that's actually what it gives a bit of a horseradish bite. But I love this, my family always raves, and it is always requested at holidays. Thanks for posting!
- 1 3⁄4 cups small elbow macaroni
- 5 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, cubed (1/2-inch)
- 2 tablespoons flour, plus
- 2 teaspoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 1⁄3 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 1⁄3 cups whipping cream
- 2⁄3 cup sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- 3⁄4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 5 ounces more extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter a 13x9x2 inch glass baking dish.
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook macaroni al dente.
- Drain and place in the buttered dish.
- Add the cubed cheddar and combine.
- Whisk flour, salt, mustard, pepper, cayenne and nutmeg in a medium bowl until no lumps are visible.
- Gradually whisk in half-and-half, followed by the whipping cream and finally the sour cream.
- Add eggs and Worcestershire sauce.
- Whisk well to blend.
- Pour mixture over macaroni and cheese mixture.
- Sprinkle with the grated cheese.
- Bake in the center of the oven, 25 minutes until edges are set but center is still liquid.
- Remove from oven and let stand about 10 minutes to thicken sauce.
- The sauce will still be creamy.