Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
These will be the best that you have ever tasted, I guarantee it!
Make and share this Real Ukrainian Cabbage Rolls recipe from Food.com.
- Take core out of center of cabbage.
- Place head of cabbage in a large pot of Boiling water, cored side down. Cover and simmer as the leaves become pliable remove with tongs and place in a colander that has been placed on a cookie sheet to catch excess water.
- When done removing all the leaves that can be used, (there will be the center of the cabbage that is too small for use, but do save it!).
- Place leaves on a cutting board and shave down the "vein" or if the leaf is large enough cut in half on either side of it.
- Dice bacon and onion and place in a frying pan cook until tender but bacon is not crisp.( DO NOT DRAIN OFF FAT!)Cook rice as pkg. directs BUT remove from heat while rice still has a hard kernel in the center.
- Add rice and bacon mixture together along with the garlic, dill and the veg oil.
- Place a spoonful (tbsp) in center of leaf tuck in the sides and roll.
- Place in a foil pan or roaster until all leaves etc. are done.
- To bake either use enough water to just cover the rolls or for a different taste, mix one can tomato soup (AYLMERS is best) with i/4 can water and pour over top. Use the leftover cabbage leaves from the core to put over top to prevent scorching; cover with foil.
- Bake at 325°F for 1.5 to 2 hours.