Manuel Rios's Note:
really traditional, and very good
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1You have to beat the lard, (I use a machine), beat it until it gets soft, and fluffy.
- 2Add the flour, and keep beating it.
- 3Into a blender put the jalapenos, onion, tomatoes, salt, and the peregil. Add some water, you are making a salsa.
- 4In another pot, put some water and the chicken, and boil them.
- 5Take a big spoon of the mixture of the lard and spread it on the corn leaves, add a spoon of salsa, and a piece of chicken in it. Wrap the husk so the flour mixture seals around the meat and salsa
- 6Keep doing this until the mixture is gone
- 7Steam them in an oversized pot.
- 8In mexico we use special pots, you can use any but be sure to cook them in the vapor.
- 9Let it cook, you'll know when its ready when you touch the tamale and its not fluffy any more, it gets solid.
- 10When you eat it put the leaf into the trash can, you won't eat the leaf, in mexico people add some cream over it and thats good.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Real Traditional Tamales
Serving Size: 1 (173 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 692.3
- Calories from Fat 492
- Total Fat 54.7 g
- Saturated Fat 20.6 g
- Cholesterol 66.0 mg
- Sodium 26.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 10.0 g