Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
My mother never just "opened a can" to make anything! She doctored everything to make it her own. These green beans are easy and even my husband eats them! Sometimes I add cut potatoes or turnips and let them simmer until soft.
- 2 (16 ounce) cans green beans (undrained)
- 3 -4 slices bacon
- 1⁄2 onion, sliced
- 4 -5 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- black pepper
- Cut bacon strips in half and brown, drain most but not all the fat.
- Add the onions and saute in a bit of the bacon fat until just soft.
- Add the green beans, mustard, brown sugar and garlic.
- Stir well
- Simmer on low for at least 20 minutes.
I was craving comfort food and lazyme's picture looked too good`NOT to eat! Paired these green beans with Mashed Potatoes and Beef Patties in Onion Gravy for the ultimate comfort food meal. I love green beans with onion and bacon and thought these were a great variation on that. However, for me and my BF, these were a tad on the sweet side from the brown sugar. I liked the bite from the mustard however, so next time I think I will cut down the amount of brown sugar or do a comination of white and brown. They reminded me of a glaze I put on honey baked hams... and that's a good thing! Thanks for sharing!
Delish! I've made Southern beans before with the bacon and onion, but have never added mustard before. It was a nice addition. Thanks Little Mommy for sharing your recipe.